Process for Teaching Communication
Understanding communication and your role as a communication partner is the first step in the communication process. The next five steps consist of a cycle of assessment, setting functional goals and objectives, developing appropriate activities, monitoring the child's progress and making program changes as needed.
- Assessment identifies the child's strengths and skill deficits that interfere with communication.
- Functional outcomes or goals reflect the child's daily communication needs based on the assessment.
- Communication activities or interventions are developed from the IEP goals and outcomes to meet child needs.
- Progress monitoring data is used to determine the interventions' effectiveness.
- Program changes are made based on the results of continuous monitoring of progress.
The rest of the tutorial will cover these five steps in detail.